My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

a long night

I’m lying in bed.
I’m awake.
My eyes are open.
It’s dark.
The cicadas are deafening.
Close your eyes.
Go back to sleep.
Ideas. Thoughts. Mind racing.
Racing. Racing. Racing.
Ideas. Images. Thoughts.
Memories of the past?
Close your eyes.
Images.
Dreams of the future?
Go back to sleep.
I’m still awake.
Racing. Racing.
House. Work. Racing.
Past? Future? Present?
Shut your mind.
Racing. Racing.
Things I wish I had said.
Doubts.
Things I want to say.
Images. Ideas. Thoughts.
Shouting.
Racing.
Things I’ll never say.
Doubts. Apprehension. Questions.
My eyes are shut.
I’m awake.
Racing.
Visions are deafening.
The clock shouts as the numbers silently change.
I’m still awake
Racing. Racing.
Images. Technicolor. Stereo surround-sound.
Thoughts.
The cicadas and I are awake.
It’s dark.
I can hear the silent clock tick, tick, tick…
Mind racing. Racing.
Only fifteen minutes have passed since the last time I looked.
Quit looking!
It only makes it worse.
Thoughts. Demons. Thieves.
It’s getting light out.
Thoughts.
Racing.
The alarm goes off. Another day.
I’ll sleep better tonight?

1 Comments:

Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Three words: Tylenol P M

Try it early (like 9, not after 10) until you get back in the habit of sleeping when you should.

I highly recommend this trick to get the insomnia in check... and then mention it to the doc at your next check up. It is a symptom of menopause.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home