My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

more deck work

8/25/08
More progress. Got the deck on the steps screwed down. Mowgli used the back door for the first time in two days. Still can’t get to the ground: no steps yet and he won’t use the ladder. I now have about 30% of the Choicedek screwed down and another 60% of the loose boards loaded onto the deck.

I really have to cut the 4 X 4 braces and screw them into place. Now that I have walkable surface in place I realize that the deck wobbles a little east to west at the far south edge. The braces will solve that.

I can close my eyes and imagine the finished product. I wish I had someone to share it with.

9/7/08
Took some time off. Went to Missouri for Dad’s 80th birthday over Labor Day weekend and then the remnants of Hurricane Gustaf hit. Went to Weldon for opening of dove season on 9/6. I had planned on hunting in the morning and coming back to hit the deck. They talked me into hunting Saturday afternoon and spending the night.

I bundled up this morning and came back to the house. I was cutting the choicedek to go around the center posts by 11:00 am. Worked until 5:30 then did some cleanup. Got all the decking attached to the frame and beefed up the south face of the frame: more screws in boards I had only used one on. Not all the pieces completely screwed down, but enough to get a look at the whole 16’ x 20’ surface.

Used the screw gun quite a bit. Once you get the hang of it, it works pretty well. Have to be careful not to over power the gun right off the bat; too easy to strip the drive hole in the screw. DeWalt works ok but need to recharge the batteries too often. They may be wearing out.

Tomorrow night I’ll finish screwing down phase one, cut the east and west edges, and will probably buy lumber for step stringers. I’ll try to get my final measurements for the steps tomorrow.

The sooner I get the steps completed, the sooner Mowgli can have his back yard back.
Dove opener was very good. Dove breasts rolled in melted butter, add ½ inch of chardonnay (you’d be happy to drink), a little salt and pepper, and bake for one hour at 350. Made a way good sauce from the drippings and served over Arkansas basmati rice. BON APPETITE!

9/8/08
Got the last of the screws in the 16’ x 20’ deck. Got the ends trimmed off and cut the hole for the stair post. Tomorrow I start laying out the footings for phase 2, another 12’ x 12’. I think I’ve got the plan down, I need to work a little on the elevations to finalize everything. I’ll probably need some more choicedek before I’m finished. I think I need 24 16-foot pieces and only have 14: another $300.

9/9/08
Started prep work for pouring the footings. I laid out lines marking the centers of the next six posts and started digging holes. Something didn’t look right. Measurements and holes weren’t jibing. Kept checking the plans and started to question my calculations. Ended up in frustration and a couple cans of beer.

9/10/08
Recalculated all my calculations and I wasn’t in as bad shape as I thought I was. All I had to do was modify a couple holes then all was well. I poured 800 pounds (dry-weight) of concrete and quit. Concrete will cure through the upcoming weekend while I go dove hunting. Sunday should be a wash anyway; they’re predicting we’ll get hit w/ the remnants of hurricane Ike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home