My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

9/15/08
No work since the 10th so the concrete could cure and Ike could pass through.

Bought two 2 x 12s this afternoon for the stair stringers. Pushed them up to the deck, laid them out, and cut them on sawhorses. It’s a REAL treat to have a large, flat, level surface to do work like this. I also attached the brace on the bottom that will be screwed to the 4 x 4 posts and attached the temporary 2 x 4 to the top. Tomorrow (if I get back from business trip at a decent hour) I’ll cut the 4 x 4 to length to install as the top of the north stair rail. Maybe on Wednesday I’ll get the stair set mounted in place; will need friends for this. This will allow me to start on the frame for the hot tub platform.

After work and clean up was accomplished I had a treat: whiskey on the deck under the stars. It could be better, but I realize lately that perfection is out of reach.

I love it when a plan comes together (sometimes it surprises me, but I still love it)

9/16/08
Finished the basic frame for the first section of steps. Got the final 4 x 4 post for the north side of the steps mounted and all the posts on the main deck cut for height. I started to clean up and looked at the step frame and looked at the place where the steps were to be mounted and scratched my head and figured out how to do it.

I lowered the frame over the side of the deck and attached a series of ropes and ratchet straps so I could force it up against to the side of the deck and the two west posts. I then propped up the east end of the frame to bring it to level and screwed the west end of the frame to the posts, again checking for level. Once the west end was tight I fine tuned the level and plumb and attached the two east 4 x 4 posts. All worked out well.

Tomorrow I hope to start the frame for the hot tub platform.

9/17/08
Got the tub platform frame built.

I'm probably boring you w/ al the deck construction stuff.

Tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home