My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Monday, September 15, 2008

8/23/08
Today was a good day! It started out questionably but improved. The coffee maker kicked off at 6:30 am. So did the rain. I had only planned on half a pot of coffee, but when I finished that and it was still raining, I put on another pot. The 20% chance of rain for today turned out to be a freak front that stalled right over my house. I think I had close to ½ inch of rain. It began to let up around 10:00 am so I loaded my buckets w/ tools and hit the back yard.

First thing I had to do was tear apart the old steps, the last vestige of the old deck. That old treated lumber is slicker than owl snot when it gets wet. It’s a miracle I never busted my ass from slippin’ on it. It’s way too wet to burn. It’ll have to stop rainin’ for a while to dry that old lumber out enough to get it lit.

I installed the center brace and attached the east and west sides together. Then I finished setting the joist hangers, cut the joists to 192 inches, and set them on top of the center brace and into the joist hangers. I then mounted the outside face to the 4 X 4 posts and to the ends of the joists. All the while checking the posts, brace, and joists to make sure they’re all square and true to the earth. The hydraulic jack helped true everything up at the end of the day. It’s starting to look like a deck. As I finished cleaning up it started to rain.

I realize this is hard to fathom in writing. Basically I connected the north side of a box to the house. Then I built the east and west sides and connected them to the house as well. Then I connected the east and west sides together down the middle. Then I added the joists between the east and west sides (every 16 inches) then I installed the south side and appropriate 4 x 4 post. The ankle bone is connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the....

Once again, being without help forced me to make a lot of extra moves and accomplish extra steps. I managed, and the frame for the primary deck is complete. Tomorrow I’ll hit Lowes and buy the rest of the stainless screws I’ll need to attach the Choicedek and start stacking the decking on the frame. I may even have time to attach some of the decking. I’ll also get some more 4 X 4 and some heavy screws so I can make some braces for the posts and frame. This sucker is going to be sturdy.

There’s always a price to pay. As I sit and rest, I get REAL stiff. I took a couple Advil (miracle drug!) an hour ago. I’ll take a couple more before bed. I should be able to walk tomorrow without crying like a baby. As much as it hurts, I’m really going to enjoy my new deck.

8/24/08
More progress. Went to Lowes and got lumber for step from deck to house and more 4 X 4s for the braces, and $65 dollars worth of 2 ¼” stainless, trim-head screws. I went to Randall’s and borrowed his screw gun. Screw gun works great, but takes a good deal of finesse. I used it to put the platform together for the step but stuck w/ my 18 volt DeWalt to put the stainless screws into the deck. I got almost ¼ of the deck installed and the platforms installed. Next will be to add decking to the platform, then I’ll be able to use my backdoor again. No steps in the near future, but soon.

I’ll be able to get some work done in the evenings this week if the remnants of Fay don’t hit. I’ll take next weekend off so I can go to Missouri for Dad’s 80th birthday. The weekend after that I’ll take off for the opening of dove season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home