My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Sunday, November 02, 2008

The last week started off rough but finished well.

Dad missed his flight on Thursday but arrived in fine shape a day late, on Friday.

My homeowner’s insurance people called Friday morning and I gave them the list of stolen things. No fight involved. In the midst of picking Dad up at the airport and getting lunch, the insurance people called with a settlement offer. I’d done some internet research to get some price estimates for replacements. The insurance company’s offer was well within reason. Not overly generous, but not miserly either. Once again, no fight involved. They provide me with an initial check, I purchase replacements, send them receipts, and they then reimburse me for depreciation, an additional 12% above the initial check. Paperwork and initial check should arrive just in time to replace my shotgun before duck season starts.

Saturday, I got up and ran the Nordic Track for thirty minutes and had my pot of coffee on the deck. Dad sleeps late. He got up and we had some breakfast and hit the road. My goal was to drive into the mountains to see some of the fall color. It was spectacular! Dark crimson dogwoods and black gums. Bright yellow sweet gums and hickories. Burnt orange oaks. Fluorescent orange, yellow, and red maples. Bright sunny day. No traffic so we got to lollygag along the blue highways without being rushed. We made it to Mountain View, had lunch, and strolled through some of the shops. We sat in the afternoon sun on the Stone County Courthouse lawn and listened to some excellent pick-up band bluegrass and folk music. One guy even played some old Bob Dylan tunes. It was WAY great. We drove home, ate dinner and fell asleep watching college football on the tube. A MOST EXCELLENT day.

I’m so happy to have him here. He’s happy to be here. We talked of the eventuality of him moving here to stay with me. No arguments. As long as he’s able to fend for himself and take care of things in Jeff City, more power to him. He still has good friends there and to move him down here prematurely would be wrong on so many levels. When the need finally arises, he’ll be happy to change his address.

Today, more Nordic Track, a late breakfast, and lying around watching the tube together (he’s napping right now). Tomorrow I have to go to work and he’ll laze around here. Tuesday, it’s off to the Clinton Library and a stroll through the river market area. Wednesday, it’s back to the office for me and Thursday he’ll fly back north. Hopefully, no more missed flights. Although extending his visit wouldn’t hurt my feelings one little bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home