My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Monday, October 20, 2008

October 20, 1984

October 20, 2008.

Today, I’ve lived in the state of Arkansas for 24 years. Wednesday I will have worked for the state for 24 years. I moved to Little Rock on a Saturday and started work on Monday.

I remember the first times I caught myself referring to Arkansas as home. It felt strange. It really bothered me in conversations with my father. But over time, he and I have both come to realize the truth in it. Home will always be where my father is, but Arkansas is the home I return to after all too brief visits to see him.

In retrospect, Arkansas has been good to me. I regret being seven hours from my father and as he grows older, I regret the distance more and more. When I made the decision to move here in 1984, there were no professional job opportunities in Missouri and the distance didn’t seem so great. There have been other sacrifices but I try not to dwell on them much. But then, had I chosen another path 24 years ago, it would have altered the warp of time and there would have, inevitably, been other sacrifices.

I’ve worked for two different agencies, had four different job titles, and a wide range of job duties that, until recently, all involved outdoor recreation in one form or another. At times I’ve cussed them both and at other times I been real proud of the work I’ve done. When I sit down and think of who my “customers” have been over the years, it’s all been worthwhile.

I can retire with full benefits in 2012 or I can stick it out until 2019 and walk out the door at 62.5 years old with a very healthy retirement bonus on top of a livable monthly retirement check. Financially, I could probably make the early retirement work. There would have to be changes, but nothing too terrible. And too, things could always change. I guess as long as I enjoy the people and the work, 2019 isn’t that far away.

Ask me on October 22, 2012.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home