My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Thursday, October 30, 2008

i've been burgled

Someone broke into my house last week while I was out of town.

The computer is up and running again after a brief adventure across Saline County with two TVs, and various other electronic devices. I'm really glad I didn't lose the writing saved on the computer's hard drive. I will be a religious back-up practitioner from now on.

Almost everything is back in the drawers they belong in, shelves they belong on, or closets they came from. A pile of things walked out the door and will probably never be seen again unless the cops bust the local meth dealer and the TV cameras scan the room full of stolen goods the neighborhood junkie traded for his most recent fix. Unfortunately, that will only happen if the cops hit him before he loads it all on a van and takes it to his friendly pawn shop in Dallas, or New Orleans, or Houston, or Memphis, or St. Louis, or Kansas City, or Tulsa, etc.

Hopefully, Allstate will honor their agreements and reimburse me for the loss of my things (minus the $250 deductible). I realize there is no way what-so-ever that they can replace the sentiment or family history permeating three of the stolen items; things that belonged to a long passed relative, to a more recently passed friend, and to me.

I contacted Allstate's claim office on Tuesday. They gave me a claim number. The lady, Pat Turner, told me an adjuster would call me on Wednesday. As of 9:52 pm on Thursday, nobody from Allstate has contacted me.

Allstate is more than willing to cash the checks I send them for auto insurance and more than willing to collect the home owners insurance from my escrow account. It's odd, however, that the first time in 14 years I file a claim against my home owners insurance, I can't get a straight answer out of them. Hell, I can't even get a crooked answer out of them.

Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, don't buy insurance from Allstate.

UPDATE - An Allstate Advocate (Advocates take the escallation desk calls) called Friday morning to get a list of pilfered items and called again Friday afternoon with a reasonable settlement offer. Maybe I'll keep buying insurance from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home