My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just Change the Channel

I’m guilty of something I would normally rail against. I’ve succumbed to censorship in the content of this blog. I’ve deleted two posts in the last five or six months. It was my decision to delete them, but the impetus came from others.

The first was something I wrote in 2007 because I had had a wonderful experience. I was elated. I’ll never forget it. When I got home I wrote about it and posted it. Someone was offended and I’ll admit it was a little personal. The offended party told a mutual friend and the mutual friend told me. In an effort to ruffle no ones feathers I thought about it for a few days and deleted the post. It’s gone forever. The memories of the experience are still with me, but the words I used to express my joy are no more. I allowed myself to be censored.

The second was something I wrote because I was truly disgusted at the actions of an individual as related to me in confidence by a friend. The individual had taken a convenient shortcut that I thought was ethically abhorrent and I wrote of my outrage. No names were used. The facts were exposed and the reasoning behind my disappointment was expressed. My friend was afraid others who knew the individual involved would see the post and be upset. Although, I can’t imagine any intelligent person not being upset that the shortcut took place at all. My “punishment” was that my friend would no longer read this blog. I caved. The post was deleted; I succumbed to censorship once again. What happened still pisses me off to this day, but the words I used to express my outrage are no more.

Here’s the new rule regarding the content of this blog. I write for me. I will only write the truth. My truth, but the truth just the same. If someone wants to read what I have to say, then great. If someone is offended by what I say, then too bad. At least have the guts to tell me you’re offended.

It’s like the content of television programs. If you don’t like what you see, change the frickin’ channel! But don’t forget, you’ll never know what’s here unless you look. As Monty Hall said so often, “Lets see what’s behind curtain number three!”

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

….because this is about and for me – I feel the need to comment. Some things are personal and, although they are shared with a confidant, they are not intended to be published. For now, and forever, I will state “off the record” before I share something personal. You are free to disclose but there is a risk when you share another’s private musings.

We have a natural right to make use of our pens as of our tongue, at our peril, risk and hazard. ~Voltaire

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home