My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Has Spring Sprung?

Ok, maybe it’s premature, but maybe spring is here. I’ve seen some signs recently. Yesterday it got up into the low 70s and today it was up to the mid 60s.

This afternoon I got home grabbed the dog and went for a walk in the park around the corner. I walked in a relatively straight line while Mowgli zigzagged back and forth in front of me. He probably covered twice the ground I did. We walked for half an hour and got home WELL before dark. I really hadn’t noticed the days “getting longer” because a week ago, we had been overcast for a month and a half. I wore shorts and a t-shirt. What a treat!

The park was full of people. Moms hovering over kids at the playground. Out-of-shape people playing basketball: you got to start someplace. People walking dogs. Everybody had that just-getting-over-my-annual-dose-of-cabin-fever look on their faces. They were happy. Their dogs were happy. Even the robins poking through the still brown grass looked happy.

Some of the daffodils are blooming. Some bloomed last week. Some are mere clusters of tender green shoots about four inches tall that haven’t put out their bright yellow blooms yet. The buds on the dogwoods are all swollen up and look like they’re ready to burst. I know the bloom should be a couple of weeks away, or maybe a month, but it sure looks promising. The azaleas all have big fat buds as well. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the dogwoods and azaleas will bloom together.

Pitchers and catchers reported to spring training camps the end of last week and some of the big name position players are starting to arrive. Newspaper articles are appearing with stories about the new young phenoms or the veterans recovering from off-season surgeries. Managers and owners are justifying trades and acquisitions, or in some cases, the lack thereof. Go Cardinals!

My mailbox has been inundated with fishing supply catalogs. I remember a sure-fire sign of spring when I was a kid, the arrival of the Herter’s catalog. Thick, with an orange and black cover, and chock full of the latest and greatest rods, reels, baits, and accessories. Yes ladies us guys know all about accessorizing.

I realize Mother Nature is bound to have a few frigid days left up her sleeve. But after the last couple of days, let ‘em come! They won’t last long and the bikinis will start appearing any day. WOOHOO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home