My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

happy mothers' day

A belated Happy Mother’s Day to all my favorite mothers!

My Mother died when I was 22. I’m now 48. She’s been gone longer than she was with me. But seldom does a day pass that something doesn’t remind me of her. I’ll see or hear something, and there she is. Time does indeed lessen the pain, but the occasional pang persists forever.

My stepmother died last summer. Dad married Doris six years after my Mother died. Doris never tried to be my “new Mother”. I’m sure that’s why we got along so well. She was a great companion for my Dad. I worried about him less when she was here. She saw him through quintuple bypass surgery, prostrate removal, and both carotids rotorootered. She introduced him to friends he’ll keep forever. For being there for my Dad, she was as much of a mother to me as could be expected. I miss her.

So, to Jennie, Lana, Nancy, Ellen and many more of my favorite Mothers, Happy Mothers Day! You may unfortunately never know how much you are truly appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Oh Gosh, Steve, this is so sweet. I know that only recently, and several years since her death, am I truly appreciating my mother and learning to forgive her. Your words for your 2 mothers are very sweet. They were blessed to have you for their son.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
Not only were they blessed to have you for their son but we are all blessed to have you as our friend.
Thank you for that -- love, lana

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home