My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

HOW DO I KNOW MY YOUTH IS ALL SPENT?


How do I know my youth has been spent,

My get-up-and-go, got up and went.
But in spite of all that, I'm able to grin,
When I think where my get-up-and-go has been.

Old age is golden, so I've heard said,
But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed.
My ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on a table until I wake up.

When I was young my slippers were red,
I could kick up my heels right over my head.
When I grew older my slippers were blue,
But still I could dance the whole night thru.

Now that I am old my slippers are black,
I huff to the corner and puff my way back.
The reason I know my youth is all spent,
My get-up-and-go has got up and went.

I get up each morning dust off my wits,
Pick up the paper and read the orbits.
If I’m not there, I know I'm not dead,
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.
- Anonymous (yet Knowing)

I aged today. I have now entered my “late forties”. In two years I will enter my early fifties (where I will remain for the ensuing six years). I still hop out of bed in the morning with all the glee and verve I displayed as a 20 year old. A pretty girl still catches my eye even if I don’t catch her’s. The stirrings of youth are still pretty vibrant. It’s still too soon for my mid-life crisis. I know this because I’m not tooling around town on a shiny new Harley Davidson.

My left eye is a +6.5 and my right eye is a +7.0 AND I almost constantly wear a pair of +1.5 Wal-Mart cheaters. When not wearing the contacts and cheaters I don bifocals and spend my day trying to figure out the correct tilt of my head. Extra light is extreemly appreciated!

I know more today that I did when I was 20. I even remember most of it when I need or want to. There are however things I participated in as a 20 year old that I will not participate in now. I know they’re either illegal or my system won’t rebound like it used to. The fear of jail or a of a force-ten, full-body hangover has developed with age. That’s not a bad thing.

I thank all my good friends who sent snail-mail or e-mail felicitations. All were greatly enjoyed and appreciated. I’m lookin’ forward to seein’ what the next 40+ years hold in store.

3 Comments:

Blogger Redhead Editor said...

E-mail felicitations? Is that a fancy word for what we once did? Ha ha ha! I do believe you were 19 or 20 then! Just joking with you so you'll feel young today. For the last 10 years, your birthday has been the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. Now it can be the occasion of the election of Pope Benedict XVI. Does he not know that's not such a great name in US history? Hope you had a marvelous day nonetheless. Much love and great memories!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a great day this is -- it brought you into all of our lives. You live to far away. Enjoy! Love, lana

9:09 PM  
Blogger Diann said...

I thought I was the only one who wanted to live to 90 - hope your day was great and that your wishes do come true.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home