My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

shampoo

HELP!!!!!

I'm standing in the shampoo aisle at wally world. Bottles of every size shape and description on eighty feet of shelving, six feet high. Hundreds and Hundreds ( in a Carl Sagan voice) of choices! Clarifiers, emulsifiers, dry hair formulas, oily hair formulas, stuff for brunettes, blondes, redheads, straighteners, stuff for permed hair, dyed hair, gentle, medicated, strong, fragrant, herbal, etc. The fragrances are reminiscent of the either the great outdoors or the fruit section (no pun intended).

I've been buying same brand for years. It was simple. The fragrance was tolerable. The price was reasonable. It was my friend. But alas, no more. Out of all those choices, no regular brand. I've been abandoned in haircare hell. What to do, what to do?

I'll bet I spent fifteen minutes wandering helplessly up one side and down the other side of the aisle. Fifty or sixty people, almost exclusively women, came, made their selection, and left. Their brand was still there. No dithering around.

I don't need stuff for dyed hair or for permed hair. I don't know what clarifiers and emulsifiers are. Do I need them? I don't have dandruff. You have to read the bottle like you're studying a legal document to find out if some of them have fragrance added. It's easy to rule out the fruit section scents; they advertise their aroma on the front in big type. Some of them listed fragrance as their second most abundant ingredient behind water! What's up with that? I don't need straightener as long as I keep my hair short and the humidity isn't too bad. Do I need the herbal stuff with green tea and balsam it it?

I want Guy shampoo. Big ugly bottles of cheap, no frills, non-scented shampoo. Put it in a black bottle, or even better, a bottle with a camouflage pattern. Guys eyes and brains are programmed to spot camo stuff real quick. It might even help if they stock it in the sporting goods or hardware sections. We're comfortable there to start with.

I settled on something that was twice as expensive as my old brand. It was a big bottle. I read the label pretty carefully and even opened it up to get a whiff: minimal fragrance. I couldn't tell you what brand it is to save my life. If I like it I'll buy it again. If I don't, it's back to haircare hell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Redhead Editor said...

I feel your shampoo pain. It's a sham. It's poo. I suggest you try places like Big Lots or Dollar Stores. Often cheaper and often old products that were kicked out of the Shampoo Club when manufacturers made newer models. (like the old wives club) It's even worse when you buy a product that is in a box and the outside of the bottle doesn't match the box, and you have to stand there, opening boxes to see if you have the right shampoo (or contact solution or toothpaste) because you forgot what your brand looks like. Good luck and hang in there. Hope it all comes out in the wash... so to speak.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a soft touch for expensive shampoo -- if it cost more, it must be better!
lana

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home