My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Monday, February 14, 2005

Spring is in the air...

Puxatawny Phil saw his shadow,
Six more weeks of winter.
But if there’s any more snow,
I hope he gets a splinter!


Daffodils are sprouting and beginning to bloom in south AR. The berries on the American hollies are ripening and starting to fall; it won’t be long before the cedar waxwings come in flocks to gorge on them. The bucks have dropped the antlers they were so proud of in November and January. It was nice enough Sunday to wash the ATV AND the truck. The truck’s two and a half years old so it was time to wash it, I was just takin’ advantage of the nice weather. The buds on the azaleas are getting bigger by the day and I’ve been noticing more and more songbird singing activity lately. The little boy birds are lookin’ for little girl birds and I wish them all great success!

It’s time to rake the yard so the grass can grow. I priced sod last week. I may buy a couple pallets and high-grade some of the bare spots. I’ve noticed racks of garden plants at the discount stores. I’m going to get several jalapeno plants this year so I can make chipotle out of them.

It’s been so overcast here for so long you couldn’t notice the way the day was gettin’ light earlier and stayin’ light longer. I noticed this morning, a little light off to the east. Maybe I’ll get some yard rakin’ in this evenin’ before it gets too dark.
Even if we’re a month off before the sun rises above that magic line in the celestial sky, it’s startin’ to feel like spring. It’s a great feelin’.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diann said...

My mother used to say,
"Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the flowers is?"

I sense your eagerness and share it for this coming season. Here in the mountains we aren't quite seeing buds yet but the days are starting to stretch longer, the sun is getting warmer, and I can't wait for the blossoming trees of spring. We have cherry, mountain laurel, bradford pear, apple etc. etc. just waiting to bust forth. Spring in the mountains is the lushest most abundant season of the year. I love it.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

Beautiful weather here on Valentine's Day in St. Louis. Of course, I am the typical skeptical Missourian who knows spring is just around the corner. I don't trust 60 degree weather in February. Flowers are trying to pop up, and I know Ole Man Winter is lurking around the corner. Happy VD Old Friend.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home