My Photo
Name:
Location: 34.609N -92.486W

Friday, January 07, 2005

We pay for our mistakes

Nine more Americans killed in Iraq. Add them to the disgustingly growing list. Didn't we learn from Somalia? Didn't we learn from Napoleon's campaign in Egypt?

Tax cuts for the wealthy. Tax breaks for corporations who are contributing very little to start with. Making those tax cuts permanent.

Allowing an increase in the level of cyanide in our air and water.

Allowing mining companies to blow the tops off mountains and foul our streams.

Denying access to presidential records beyond the time mandated for keeping them sealed. What are they hiding? What are they so afraid we'll find out?

An ungodly high deficit with no plans whatsoever to try to reduce it (see tax cuts above). How long will our children and grandchildren be paying for our poor spending habits? What legacy will we be leaving them? Is this, as some talking heads say, an effort to bankrupt government to the point of fiscal unsolvency to shrink it out of existence?

Promising that social security benefits will not be cut while convincing us to vote then turning around and hinting of cuts before the inauguration. Sure, lets put part of workers future fiscal security into the pockets of Wall Street brokers.

Lets cut peoples ability to receive large monetary awards as the result of malpractice suits. Will insurance companies reduce their rates?

Lets drill for oil off the Florida coast. No, wait! The Governor's a relative; that's a bad idea.

My sincere hope is that things don't turn out as bad as I think they will. In not, I'll be the first person to say I was wrong and they were right. However, I want them to be proud of their Bush-Cheney choice if things go sour.




2 Comments:

Blogger Redhead Editor said...

I love that we are on the same page. After knowing each other for over 35 years, I'm glad we're the same. So many other friends are now Republicans. How did that happen?

10:01 PM  
Blogger Diann said...

I probably would have never been at this blog site if it wasn't for Lana, my friend, and apparently yours too. She's too lazy to sign up so she had me do it so I could post to your blog. She's too busy doing PhD. stuff, don't you know.

Anyway, I'm with you on all your political commentary, nice to know there are still some of us out there. Did you know that 90% of the casualties in "modern" war are civilians? So, I hate that we are killing our children, but I hate even more that we are killing people who never wanted to die in a war that we created.

I, too, hope we are wrong, too pessimistic, not seeing the bright side, whatever. But, boy, if we are right, it is not a pretty picture. Do we really want to do this to our children? As your friend said, "how did that happen?" (friends all becoming republican)

So, nice to meet you, glad we have Lana in common, and I'll be blogging.
Diann

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home